|RIDGECREST ROAR October 16, 2022
Good evening Ridgecrest families,
We are headed into a short week this week. We have fall break on Thursday and Friday, so there will be no school. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday will be regular days and we will get out at 3:20.
I also wanted you to know that our lost and found fills quickly this time of year. Our beautiful fall weather means students need layers in the morning but not in the afternoon. Our teachers have students check the lost and found regularly but you are also welcome to come in and look if you know you are missing an item.
Halloween is quickly approaching! We will be holding our annual Halloween Parade as well as our classroom parties on Monday, Oct. 31st. The parade will start at 9:00 inside and we will proceed outside to the parade route by 9:15. Parents are encouraged to line the parade route and cheer us on. I will attach the parade route in the Oct. 23rd Ridgecrest Roar.
Please help your child to pick an appropriate costume. Here are some guidelines:
- No face masks or full-face paint. We need to be able to visually identify students in costumes.
- Costumes that are provocative, revealing, sexual in nature or employ questionable props are not permitted.
- Costumes that depict violence, alcohol, or drugs are not permitted. Fake (or real) weapons are not permitted.
- Costumes that can be offensive or perpetuate a stereotype of someone’s culture, gender, heritage, or religion are not permitted.
- Costumes should not hinder your ability to participate in classes
- Costumes should include shoes
- Costumes and dressing up is optional
Zones of Regulation – This week, students are learning about a strategy called “Size of the Problem”. We experience problems throughout our day that are all different sizes. When we have a problem, it is helpful if our reaction matches the size of the problem. Some problems can be solved easily, and some problems need adult help. Students will work on recognizing the size of the problem in Miss Allie’s lesson, more information can be found here: https://canyons.instructure.com/courses/1535293/modules#module_3168589
Information previously shared that still might be helpful
Dual Language Program – We have a couple dates coming up that are important for families in our Dual Language Program or who are interested in it for next year.
- October 3rd – The DLI Lottery opened for students who will be in first grade next school year. To apply for the lottery, click this link. Application portal. The application process will close on November 21st.
- October 13th – There is a parent meeting for all families who are interested in the DLI program and would like more information before applying for the lottery. This will be from 6:30 – 8:00 PM in the Canyons Center at the district office.
- Sept. 26- November 4th – All 5th grade DLI students are asked to complete an Intent to Return form as they transition to middle school. This form can be accessed here: Secondary DLI Canvas Course. These are due on Nov. 4th.
- October 28th – There will be a Q & A over zoom for parents from 4:00-6:00 PM. The zoom meeting can be accessed through the Canvas course linked here.
Digital Citizenship – We will be celebrating Digital Citizenship Week during October 17-19. Our students will be learning about many ways to be good consumers of digital media. Attached is a document that gives you an overview of the lesson that will be taught to our students during this time.
Hi Ridgecrest Families!
Has your child submitted an entry for the Reflections contest? It’s time! Reflect on the theme “Show your Voice” and create a:
- Dance Choreography
- Film (child must hold the camera)
- Music Composition
- Photography (child must hold the camera)
- Visual Art 2D or 3D
Students can enter in more than one category, but only one submission per category. Every entry receives a certificate and a prize! Parents enter information online at utahpta.org/ref or bring art pieces to the main office of the school. Art projects will be placed in the media center for display at the school. The deadline to submit your entry is Friday, November 4th. For questions, please contact Angela Toone at email@example.com. See the flier attached and the following video for more information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F30WEbPSYIs
Red and White Ribbon week is approaching. We have almost 550 students and are in need of some donations to help reward the students for their participation. Please check out the Sign Up Genius to see where you can help. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F084AA9A62EA6FF2-redwhite
We will soon be electing our Nominating Committee. The Nominating Committee is responsible for finding and nominating the PTA board for the following school year. The Nominating Committee are 3 members who are elected by our general PTA membership (that’s you!). Members serving on the Nominating Committee are not able to be on the PTA board for the next school year. If you are interested in being on our Nominating Committee, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We need you!
Your Ridgecrest Elementary PTA 2022-23 Board
DATES FOR YOUR CALENDAR:
20-21 Fall Break
23-28 Red and White Ribbon Week
24 Net Positive Assembly
31 Halloween Parade – 9:00 AM
1 Picture Retakes
DigCit Week Overview (1)