RIDGECREST ROAR October 23, 2022
Good evening Ridgecrest families,
You may have noticed that we have been posting our daily attendance on a board out front of our school each morning. We want to make sure that attendance is a focus for our community this year and we want to emphasize that every day missed makes learning more difficult for your child. Research shows that more than 8 absences in a school year significantly increases learning challenges for children. Please join us and make attendance at school every day a healthy habit!
This week is Red and White Ribbon Week. Our PTA has provided information below about our daily events. It should be a lot of fun!
Halloween is quickly approaching! We will be holding our annual Halloween Parade as well as our classroom parties on Monday, Oct. 31st. The parade will start at 9:00 inside and we will proceed outside to the parade route by 9:15. Parents are encouraged to line the parade route and cheer us on. A copy of our Parade route is attached.
Please help your child to pick an appropriate costume. Here are some guidelines:
- No face masks or full face paint. We need to be able to visually identify students in costumes.
- Costumes that are provocative, revealing, sexual in nature or employ questionable props are not permitted.
- Costumes that depict violence, alcohol, or drugs are not permitted. Fake (or real) weapons are not permitted.
- Costumes that can be offensive or perpetuate a stereotype of someone’s culture, gender, heritage or religion are not permitted.
- Costumes should not hinder your ability to participate in classes
- Costumes should include shoes
- Costumes and dressing up is optional
Zones of Regulation – This week we’re focused on being flexible thinkers. Being a flexible thinker means that when plans or schedules change, we can try our best to adapt, see things in a new way, and manage our emotions. You can find more information on this lesson here: https://canyons.instructure.com/courses/1535293/modules#module_3168589
Mindfulness before-school program: our school counselor, Miss Allie, will be starting a new before-school program centered around mindfulness. If you are interested in this option please see the attached flier and complete the form found at this link.
Donations from Smith’s– We currently have 60 families who have registered their Smith’s card to our school. Thank you! The Smith’s inspiring donations program donates .5% of all purchases with registered cards to our school which has earned over $200 for our school so far this school year. If you would like to register your Smith’s card please click the following link Smith’s Inspiring Donations.
Community Recycling –Ridgecrest has a recycling bin, painted with a tiger, housed on the east side of the building. This is a resource to our community, so please feel free to use it. The following guidelines need to be followed so we can continue to enjoy this resource:
- The dumpster is for cardboard and paper only. Please break down all cardboard boxes. If the box is extremely large, please cut the box in half.
- The dumpster is NOT for styrofoam, laminated papers of any kind, wrapping paper, construction debris, or garbage
Lost and found: Our lost and found is overflowing again. Our teachers will take students past these items and do their best to help students find their missing things in the next week. Please also remind your children to check the lost-and-found. As a reminder, it is very helpful if your child’s name is on the label of their jackets. We will be donating all items left in our lost and found on Friday, October 28th.
From Nurse Sally: See the attached document for information about head lice. Fall is a common time for things like head lice to become a problem so this information may be helpful.
Information previously shared that still might be helpful
Dual Language Program – We have a couple dates coming up that are important for families in our Dual Language Program or who are interested in it for next year.
- October 3rd – The DLI Lottery opened for students who will be in first grade next school year. To apply for the lottery, click this link. Application portal. The application process will close on November 21st.
- Sept. 26- November 4th – All 5th grade DLI students are asked to complete an Intent to Return form as they transition to middle school. This form can be accessed here: Secondary DLI Canvas Course. These are due on Nov. 4th.
- October 28th – There will be a Q & A over zoom for parents from 4:00-6:00 PM. The zoom meeting can be accessed through the Canvas course linked here.
Hi Ridgecrest Families!
This upcoming week is Red and White Ribbon Week. This is where we focus on digital safety and being drug free. Each day we have a theme (see attached flier) to help the students remember to make wise choices. We are still looking for a couple volunteers to help with ribbon tying in the morning. Please sign up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F084AA9A62EA6FF2-redwhite to help.
We have our Food Drive and Veterans Day coming up the second week of November. More information to come soon.
Don’t forget to sign up for your PTA membership at ridgecrest.memberhub.com. Your membership helps our PTA and the programs we run. Thank you for your help!
Have an amazing week,
Your Ridgecrest Elementary PTA 2022-23 Board
DATES FOR YOUR CALENDAR:
23-28 Red and White Ribbon Week
24 Net Positive Assembly
31 Halloween Parade – 9:00 AM
1 Picture Retakes
11 Veterans Day Assembly